Dubai Sports City is set to host an international youth football tournament later this month - the Dubai Intercontinental Football Cup for Under 13’s.
Taking place on 21st & 22nd April, hundreds of youth-age footballers from some of the world’s biggest clubs, including Real Madrid and AC Milan, will travel to Dubai to compete in the inaugural tournament.
The tournament, which is in partnership with Dubai Sports Council and La Liga, will take place across Dubai Sports City’s world-class facilities and will see local and regional clubs - including Al Nasr and Dubai Club - mix with teams from Australia, Japan, Spain, Italy and the rest of the Middle East.
Dubai Sports City President, Khalid Al Zarooni said: “We are delighted to be hosting the Under 13 Dubai Intercontinental Cup here at Dubai Sports City. Over the past number of years’ football in this country has gone from strength to strength and we are delighted to be playing a part in that. Hosting this world-class event only compliments the world-class facilities we have here at Dubai Sports City as well as the quality of dedicated coaching staff at the Spanish Soccer School.”
Michel Salgado, ambassador for the Spanish Soccer School and Real Madrid legend, said: “We’re very excited to welcome international youth teams to Dubai to compete in the inaugural Under 13 Dubai Intercontinental Cup. It’s a great sign of how youth football in Dubai has grown in recent years, and will show us how our footballers of the future measure up against their international peers.”
The level of youth football in Dubai has risen in recent years due to the increasing competition and development of the Dubai Sports Council Championship, which merged the top private academies and some of the local professional clubs. The growth period has been overseen by Salgado, an ex-professional who played in 343 La Liga games over a 15-year period.
Inaki Beni, Football Academy Manager at the Spanish Soccer School, said: “Dubai’s youth players will be itching to test themselves against players from iconic clubs such as Real Madrid and AC Milan, and will certainly be looking to swap shirts after the games.
“It’s the next step in the development of the Dubai Sports Council Championship and we expect this tournament to become an annual event, we can continue to bring the world’s top youth teams to Dubai.”
As well as action on the pitch, off-pitch entertainment will be available for the whole family to enjoy with the exciting Intercontinental Cup Fan Zone. The Fan Zone will include live entertainment, a variety of food and beverage options and fun interactive activities throughout both days of the tournament.
The full list of teams taking part is as follows: Canadian Academy of Futbol, AFA Angola, Al Wahda – Abu Dhabi, Tokyo Select, FTS Australia, Al Nasr, Al Fateh FC, Celta Vigo, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Dubai Club, Spanish Soccer Schools.
About Dubai Sports City
Dubai Sports City is a unique master development spread over 50 million sq ft offering world class facilities in sports, commercial and residential real estate. Conceptualized as the world’s first fully-dedicated sports-themed community, Dubai Sports City offers a multitude of choices for sports enthusiasts and professional athletes alike. These include everything from state-of-the-art sports venues and international sporting events to top of the line sports academies, providing a platform for youth development and recreational sporting facilities alongside residential projects like Victory Heights and Gallery villas, premium villa community developed around a championship golf course and commercial developments such as international schools, medical facilities, hotels, community centres and entertainment venues.
As the world’s first integrated sports city, DSC boasts several key projects that bolster its position among several of the region’s most popular sports.
The Els Club: An 18-hole championship golf course, The Els Club – Ernie Els’ first golf course design concept in the Middle East – that hosted the Asian Tour’s 2014 finale, the Dubai Open, together with its state-of-the-art Clubhouse including multiple dining options and the Butch Harmon School of Golf, with world renowned coaches and facilities.
- • The ICC Academy, the focal point of world-class cricket and the only academy in the world to be accredited by the International Cricket Council, the governing board of cricket championships in the world. The ICC Academy offers players, coaches, umpires and trainers at all levels the opportunity to develop their education and skills. Along with the Dubai International Stadium, which opened in 2009 and hosts several international events a year, this cements cricket as one of the cornerstones of our community.
- • • The Football Centre, with its renowned Spanish Soccer Schools, is a magnet for passionate football players of all ages. An award-winning football coaching programme for boys and girls from walking age to 18;
The academy provides several programmes catering for the skill sets of the students, including varsity scholarship programmes in connection with worldwide universities. The Football Centre boasts its ability to train on several pitches, both natural and astroturf, and its FIFA approved indoor pitch, labelled The Dome.
- Sports Park: Along with the ICC Academy and the Football Centre, Dubai Sports City’s Sports Park forms the core of what is known as Sports Village. A multi-use complex, Sports Park has pitches for and frequently hosts rugby matches, school sports days, and other similar events. Sports Park also houses open-air basketball and tennis courts for players during more pleasant weather.
- Kickers Sports Bar and Chill, A laid-back American Themed Sports Bar with foosball and pool tables, plus plenty of TVs showing sporting action, Champs CAFE; located at the football zone resonates a college canteen feel.
- Canal Promenade: One of the development’s central features, the man-made canal and the promenade along its banks, buzz with activity as families stroll from shop to shop, dine in one of the many restaurants’ outdoor patios or gather with friends to watch the big game. A variety of retail options including a supermarket, pharmacy, salon, restaurants and cafés.
Built on a sense of passion for societal interaction, Dubai Sports City is integrated enough as a community to host a multitude of schools for students of all ages, from nursery all the way up to high school. Together with the already existing residences and commercial spaces, the presence of several prominent food and beverage outlets hosting cuisines from all around the world make Dubai Sports City one of the most tempting places to move to in Dubai, a fact recently affirmed by ServiceMarket.com, which placed our community among the Top 10 Places to Live in Dubai.
Source: Seven Media